Sunday, March 6, 2011

SOTD: House: YAY or NAY?

I figured since I'm going to be talking about houses, I might as well use this picture for today (I'll start the 15-Day Photo Challenge tomorrow!).

We're going black and white today, people! =)


Well, we made an offer on a bank-owned house yesterday and the nerves are setting in. I know it's supposed to be exciting but really, we're not THAT excited. The house is freaking massive in my opinion. Seriously, isn't a 2,200 square foot 4 bedroom, 2.75 baths house on a 1/4 of an acre land pretty massive for 2 people and a cat? But you know, it can be a good thing because we love space.

The house also needs A LOT of work. I don't even want to think about it but at the same time, it can be fun right? I can do some of the work. I am capable of painting walls and all that junk. The house sounds like a good project to me. Also, I'll have a new adventure/home remodeling disasters (hopefully nothing major) to blog about.

Anyway, we pretty much lowballed the bank and offered $35,000 below their asking price. Why? Well first, the optimist in me (of course) thinks they might give it to us at that price. And second, there is simply no fucking way we're paying the amount they're asking for based on the condition of the place. Third, we're not exactly sure how serious we are. We're happy with our condo but if they give it to us in that price, awesome. If not, oh well; life goes on. We'll find out on Tuesday if the bank says yes or just points and laughs at us while tossing our offer in the trash.

Overall, I'm not sure about how I feel. I'm pretty happy living in our condo. Living here, we can just drop money on a month-long trip to Europe with no qualms. We won't be too worried about money. But at the same time, it's going to suck if we let go of the house because it definitely has potential. We can do so much to the house; we can make it look whatever the hell we want it to look.

Whew, I'm hoping for the best!

2 comments:

  1. Did you take pictures of the house? I want to see! I undertsand not being excited about all the work, it sounds pretty daunting.. I hope it turns out however you want it to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have taken my camera but I wouldn't have taken pictures anyway because the house is pretty dirty! It took a lot for us to look past the mess. We were in the looking around the house for hours!

    ReplyDelete